Reports to: Chief Estimator
Responsible for estimating and project administration from bidding through project completion.
- Review contract documents and drawings to determine scope of work and required contents of estimates.
- Direct or participate in pre-bid meetings, bid strategy and presentation meetings as requested.
- Work with customers to lay out and design projects as required. Review, analyze and resolve design conflicts. May assist the customer in the preparation of studies, recommendations and cost estimates. Visit the jobsites as required.
- Prepare detailed material takeoffs. Apply material costs and labor units with other project requirements to prepare complete estimates under the direction of the chief estimator.
- Prepare proposal letters and other correspondence to customers and project team members.
- Work with supervisor, project managers, engineers, architects, contractors and customer’s representatives as needed to provide engineering and cost data regarding project feasibility.
- Coordinate access to specifications and drawings for suppliers and manufactures with purchasing.
- Coordinate with purchasing on RFP’s, negotiate pricing and delivery with suppliers, assist purchasing department to bid out projects.
- Bachelor of Science, Construction Management, Architecture or Engineering (four-year degree).
- Must be a fully qualified estimator
- Three years minimum experience in the electrical construction industry as an estimator.
- Advanced knowledge of Accubid bidding software and Live Count.
- Bluebeam software
- Conceptual estimating/budgeting
- Thorough knowledge of all aspects of construction: technology, equipment, methods (including national and local electrical codes, energy codes, scheduling and ordering processes)
- Basic working knowledge of all aspects of the electrical construction industry, from low voltage cabling to high voltage distribution systems.
- Working knowledge of union agreements and jurisdictional issues.
- Familiarity with engineering and costing issues related to electrical contracting.
- Read and interpret blueprints.
- Negotiate activities and pricing with other trades and customers
- Operate personal computers, calculators and other office equipment efficiently.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent estimating skills, including take-off, pricing, applying labor units, specification review and labor analysis.
- Enthusiastic, profit-oriented, works independently
- Maintain customer contact and develop long-term business customer relationships.
- Encourage team ingenuity and imagination
- Anticipate project events and situations, both good and bad
- Plan, organize, implement and evaluate large scale projects according to company policies, procedures and priorities.
- Give substantial attention to detail, be accurate and have the ability to work under pressure
- Review contract wording and alert superior of questionable items.
- Work independently to plan and accomplish tasks with no supervision.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with other employees, customers and suppliers.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume.
Return to Careers