Holmes Electric has a reputation for service excellence spanning more than 65 years
In 1943, Jay Holmes was working for Puget Power and had volunteered to teach electricity classes to military personnel. Jay saw great potential in one of his pupils, Gene Richards. The two decided they would go into business together after the war.
1945- Jay and Gene became partners and started Holmes Electric. The company’s humble beginnings were in the basement of Jay and Karmen’s Renton home.
1946- Holmes Electric outgrew its modest basement office and moved to a storefront in Renton.
1950- During the post-war expansion of the 1950s, Holmes was selling and installing the latest “high technology” appliances, which included stoves and refrigerators. People needed new wiring for their new electronic devices, and Holmes became the area leader in electrical services.
1956- Business continued to grow, and Holmes electricians were wiring at least one house a day, in addition to selling and installing appliances.
1960- Developers in the Kent Valley needed wiring for their warehouses and Holmes transitioned from residential work to a focus on commercial construction.
1969- As Holmes Electric continued to expand with the area’s growth, the company moved to a larger facility at 1415 Seneca, in Renton.
1979- Offering commercial electric services throughout Puget Sound, Holmes Electric outgrew its quarters and built a new building at 1422 Raymond in Renton, WA.
1984- Recognizing the growth of telecommunications and data services, Holmes Communications was established to fill the need for structured wiring to the growing computer industry.
1996- Holmes Electric joint ventured with Burke Electric to wire their first high-rise tower project, the prestigious Two Union Square building in downtown Seattle.
2005- Holmes celebrate its first 60 years in business. Jeray Holmes retires. Mike Holmes and Mike Richards continue the tradition.
2008- Holmes relocates to a new and larger facility in Kent, Washington. Renton property is sold to Washington State Department of Transportation to accommodate I-405 expansion. The Kent office space doubles previous foot print allowing for more project pre-planning, training and collaboration. Warehouse and production operations moved to Tukwila. The new pre-fabrication and staging facility increased nearly three-fold and will improve process and more readily meet the growth demands of the organization.